Its been a few months since my last update, but the Saab had some love during this time.
First things first, I wasn’t too sure when the car last had an oil and filter change. The sticker in the screen was ancient, but the oil wasn’t too bad, so I guess the previous owner had done it without recording the mileage/date.
Regardless, this popped up, so I had no choice
Now the oil filter housing and drain plug are right there, easy to get at. The filter housing is in the front (orange arrow), and takes a 24mm socket to remove. This should only be torqued to 25nm, but mine was so tight I was worried it would break. The drain plug is the at the back (green arrow).
With the required amount of oil installed, a quick start saw the system quickly primed and the oil light gone. I then reset the service light via the SID (this can only be reset once it says a service is due, not before).
Next on the hit list was the coolant expansion tank hoses.
The tank its self is OK, and is holding good pressure with the new cap on it, but the hoses were showing their age. One had a 2008 date on it, which means it must have been replaced when the car was a couple of years old, but was still very old. The other has had been replaced before with a generic bit of heater hose (which has been rubbing on the bonnet insulation due to not being a proper moulded hose).
I barely lost a couple of drops of coolant during this work, so didn’t even need to top it up and the system is self bleeding. Very easy job to do.
Next on the service list was the cabin filter. This is tucked up under the scuttle trim on the passengers side, but fairly easy to get at. First, gently lift up and move the sealing strip on the front edge
Before you can remove the filter there are two small retaining clips that need to be unclipped. They are released in this photo, but are shown by the arrows. They sit flat against the filter when locked, and lift up and out to unlock. The top of the filter comes forward and then up and out.
Now refit the trims, clip and seal. Done.
Bank 1 Sensor 2 – Stuck Rich and No Activity. Bums.
Well, how hard can it be to do? Oh, itls the sensor tucked down the back of the very well packed engine bay? Yay.
I tried clearing the codes but the CEL would come back after a decent drive.
This is where it lives. The hole (orange arrow) is where the sensor screws into. If you have nimble arms you can actually fit your whole arm down there to screw the sensor in by hand. The red arrow is a vacuum fitting that was broken and taped up. More on that later.
The sensor is working well and the CEL hasn’t returned.
I guess it kinda worked and maybe didn’t leak, but god it was ugly and not something I can live with. Thankfully the previous owner included a replacement pipe, but it was slightly different. I ended up using a lighter to heat the pipe up (its hard plastic, not rubber) and swapping the good part of the new pipe onto the old pipework to makes two into one good one.
Refitted, and makes me much happier.
Overall the car runs exactly the same, but now I know its in good shape. Ready for its new owner.
Yes, the car is currently sold pending full payment and collection. The first person to view the car is the one buying it.
I’ll be sad to see it go as its a cool car and really nice to drive, but it’s just not nimble and this takes away the fun for me. Sure, it’s fast and sticks well, but it rolls and really shows its size and weight in corners.
Not 100% on what I will replace it with yet, but time will tell.